from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A formal discourse on a subject, often in writing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lengthy, formal discourse that analyses or explains some topic; a dissertation or treatise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A formal or systematic inquiry into, or discussion of, any subject; a full examination or investigation of a matter, with the arguments and facts bearing upon it; elaborate essay; dissertation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A seeking; search; investigation.
- n. A formal or systematic inquiry into or investigation of some problem or topic; a formal discussion or treatise; a dissertation; an essay: as, a disquisition on government or morals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an elaborate analytical or explanatory essay or discussion
Latin disquīsītiō, disquīsītiōn-, investigation, from disquīsītus, past participle of disquīrere, to investigate : dis-, dis- + quaerere, to search for.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)