from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The art of fine handwriting.
- n. Works in fine handwriting considered as a group.
- n. Handwriting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The art of writing letters and words with decorative strokes.
- n. The letters and words so produced, collectively.
- n. The art of writing fancy lettering.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Fair or elegant penmanship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of beautiful writing; fair or elegant writing or penmanship; by extension, handwriting in general; penmanship. Also spelled caligraphy, kalligraphy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. beautiful handwriting
French calligraphie, from Greek kalligraphiā, beautiful writing : kalli-, beautiful (from kallos, beauty) + -graphiā, -graphy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek καλλιγραφία (kalligrafía, "pretty writing"), from κάλλος (kallos, "beauty") + γράφω (gráphō, "to draw"). (Wiktionary)