American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The art of fine handwriting.
- n. Works in fine handwriting considered as a group.
- n. Handwriting.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of beautiful writing; fair or elegant writing or penmanship; by extension, handwriting in general; penmanship. Also spelled caligraphy, kalligraphy.
- n. The art of writing letters and words with decorative strokes.
- n. The letters and words so produced, collectively.
- n. The art of writing fancy lettering.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Fair or elegant penmanship.
- n. beautiful handwriting
- From Ancient Greek καλλιγραφία (kalligrafía, "pretty writing"), from κάλλος (kallos, "beauty") + γράφω (gráphō, "to draw"). (Wiktionary)
- French calligraphie, from Greek kalligraphiā, beautiful writing : kalli-, beautiful (from kallos, beauty) + -graphiā, -graphy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“What is the meaning of the word calligraphy and from what language does it derive?”
“He withdrew a piece of paper, unfolded it, and read, “What is the meaning of the word calligraphy and from what language does it derive?””
“NA: Some of your clutches are designed with personal messages in Arabic calligraphy such as "Wisdom and Strength" and "Happiness Is a Journey.”
“From her new collection, Le Monaco in Taupe inscribed with "Smile and the World Will Smile Back at you" in Arabic calligraphy”
“The technique and artistic style of his painting and calligraphy is largely self-taught, as brushwork is not a part of formal monastic training, but part of his cumulative experience.”
“So we see my Chinese name, Wu Qi Mei, actually in calligraphy written out by my dad several years ago.”
“My mother was trained in Japanese calligraphy and other traditional Japanese arts.”
“Thank you for the comment about the Koran collection in the MFA - I have always had an interest in Arabic calligraphy and had no idea we had such a collection in Boston.”
“However, PJs skilled in calligraphy may want to hand print the information on the CD label, internal envelope and possibly on the package envelope.”
“He was pretty sure the Libyan caravan centre should be spelt "Sabha ', not" Sebha ', and he was even more certain that' qalam ', meaning a reed pen used in Arabic calligraphy, should start with a K.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘calligraphy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
denoting a science or technique, a style, or a kind of writing
Looking for tweets for calligraphy.