Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Marked with fine lines, as if with a pencil or other sharp-pointed instrument; decorated or executed in delicate ornament or lines, as distinguished from broad masses of color or the like.
- In zoology and botany: Tufted; brushy; penicillate.
- Marked with fine lines, as if scratched with a pen or painted with a fine brush; specifically, marked with a series of concentric lines, as every feather of the body-plumage of a dark brahma or a partridge cochin hen.
- Radiated; having pencils of rays.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of pencil.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Painted, drawn, sketched, or marked with a pencil.
- adj. Radiated; having pencils of rays.
- adj. (Nat. Hist.) Marked with parallel or radiating lines.
- adj. drawn or written with a pencil
“I felt as if I were back in high school after baseball tryouts seeing my name penciled next toB-squad backup right fielder.”
“There were other photos at different angles, and a detailed outline of the wound from the coroner's office with a lot of medical jargon penciled in.”
“That really is Gordon Beckham's name penciled in at second base for the White Sox 'exhibition game today against Australia's World Baseball Classic team.”
“Many artists now work on computers ( "penciled" and "inked" are just digital metaphors).”
“It is very pretty, and it has my name penciled in the back for first dibs on borrowing it: -)”
“”How Mirka Got a Sword” will be 59 pages long when finished. 43 of those pages are now complete, and 14 of the remaining 16 pages are already penciled, which is why I’m confident I won’t miss any weeks, despite my - cough!”
“There were kids that were moved up the year before that finished the season with the big team and that we kind of penciled in, people like (Gregory) Stewart, (Matt) d'Agostini, (Kyle) Chipchura, and it ended up that our depth, our kids, weren't as good.”
“Slenderly penciled, a little darker than her light brown hair, they just fitted her irregular nose that was feminine but not weak, that if anything was piquant and that picturesquely might be declared impudent.”
‘penciled’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for penciled.