from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Containing or forming a contrast; contrasting.
- adj. Linguistics Capable of distinguishing meaning; being in opposition: a phonological feature that is contrastive in one language but not in another.
- adj. Linguistics Pertaining to the study of structural contrasts: contrastive analysis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. contrasting
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of or arising from contrast; due to contrast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. strikingly different; tending to contrast
- adj. syntactically establishing a relation of contrast between sentences or elements of a sentence
- adj. of words so related that one contrasts with the other
contrast + -ive (Wiktionary)