from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Many times; frequently.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Frequently, many times.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Frequently; many times; not seldom.
- adj. Frequent; common; repeated.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Many times; many a time; frequently; not seldom; not rarely: same as oft, and now the usual form.
- Synonyms Often, Frequently. Where these words differ, often is the simpler and stronger, and expresses the more regular recurrence: as, I often take that path and frequently meet him on the way.
- Frequent; repeated.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. many times at short intervals
- adv. in many cases or instances
- adv. frequently or in great quantities
Middle English, alteration (probably influenced by selden, seldom) of oft, from Old English.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English oft (Wiktionary)