from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who engages in sodomy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who practices sodomy; a sodomist.
- n. A male homosexual.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inhabitant of Sodom.
- n. One guilty of sodomy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inhabitant of Sodom, an ancient city which, according to the account in Genesis, was destroyed by fire from heaven on account of the wickedness of its inhabitants.
- n. One who is guilty of sodomy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who engages in anal copulation (especially a male who engages in anal copulation with another male)
The word sodomite is the Hebrew word quadesh, and it means holy, consecrated, or specially dedicated—a sacred person.
If some random person (likely an agent provocateur) calls Barney Frank a sodomite, is that an act of violence?
Their defiance survives linguistically: In Arabic, the “top” sodomite is luti, meaning “of [the people of] Lot.”
Incidentally the word sodomite in the King James Version was a case of the translators imposing their cultural standards to a totally different culture.
SCANZONI: Jewish and Christian scholars agree that the word sodomite doesn't appear in the original language.
243 The detected sodomite is punished with death according to Moslem law, but again comes the difficulty of proof.
There is a host of other words that have been buggered over the years, still a sodomite is a SODOMITE.
I: "The sodomite was a recidivist, but the homosexual is now a species."
He was also known as a sodomite, a fact that hadn't bothered twenty-five-year-old Peglar much at the time.
Most prison guards that I have met are rather macho and to be branded as a sodomite might be a problem.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.