American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person or thing without equal.
- n. See black medic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Formerly, a person or thing such as to have no parallel; an extraordinary thing; a thing that has not its equal.
- n. Specifically— See blackseed, medic, and Medicago.
- n. Lychnis Chalcedonica.
- n. A variety of apple. Also spelled nonsuch.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A person or thing of a sort that there is no other such; something extraordinary; a thing that has not its equal. It is given as a name to various objects, as to a choice variety of apple, a species of medic (Medicago lupulina), a variety of pottery clay, etc.
- n. model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal
- First attested in 1590: none + such. (Wiktionary)
“Also of help is that my life is pretty well duplicated in NYC, so can forget about lots of toiletries and nonesuch, which is good since I need to schlepp plenty of books (= heavy, volume).”
“A 'nonesuch' is something unrivalled, a paragon, or something like nothing else.”
“More at www. nonesuch.com art "The Moderns" explores modernity in Irish visual art, including paintings by Mainie Jellett, experimental art by Brian O'Doherty and others.”
“Once you installed it, you started making your. php pages and everything just worked. mod_perl on the other hand, gave you nonesuch.”
“August 25, 2009 nonesuch mcSpluttershirts and the colonorectal imaging cameras”
“So if the libertarian answer is for me to wait for nonesuch health care charities to materialize from thin air, so that I can adequately compete and bring in US tax revenue and wages to US citizens, then, I am underwhelmed.”
“But there've been all sorts of other meals and nonesuch with people in town for the book fair, which are nice, but distracting from getting work done.”
“This morning I went to the Biblioteca Nacional and got my carné de investigador (thanks for the tip, seanmcl!) allowing me access to the archives and nonesuch.”
“What I'm going to try, though, is bring a grocery bag, since I also didn't manage to squeeze the veggie sausages and nonesuch (still in the freezer until the very last minute, given the heat) into the suitcase.”
“Actually, I think that once again I will have too much space, since I need to leave room for all the publisher's catalogues and nonesuch that I will be schlepping home with me.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nonesuch’.
new words or spelling issues
Herein we place all the therebys, amongsts and withals.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
visions of witfulness and vision - a wise guise
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
All the words I've come across whose definitions I did not know then.
fusty, hoary, old-fashioned, archaic
There are no words in the world I like better than these.
Looking for tweets for nonesuch.