from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To execute without due process of law, especially to hang, as by a mob.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To execute (somebody) without a proper legal trial or procedure, especially by hanging.
- v. To commit an act of violence by a mob upon the body of another person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To inflict punishment upon, especially death, without the forms of law, as when a mob captures and hangs a suspected person. See lynch law.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To punish by lynch-law; punish summarily, for a crime or public offense of any kind, without authority of law; specifically, to punish with death in this manner. See lynch-law.
- n. See linch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. kill without legal sanction
Did you just use the term lynch in relation to this election?
As has been recently shown the term lynch law originated during the revolution and was taken from the name of the brother of the man who founded Lynchburgh in Virginia.
White was convicted of manslaughter for shooting one of the teenagers at the foot of White's driveway, in what he referred to as a lynch mob.
White was convicted of manslaughter for shooting one of the teenagers in what he referred to as a lynch mob.
The illustration and the headline "Caught In A Noose" dealt with the story about Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tillman, her use of the word lynch and comments about Tiger Woods.
A lot of them feel hurt, embarrassed, a lot of people have lived in fear because of what I call lynch mobs with pitchforks. "
Don't let PA - Bucks County as the "lynch" - pin - become the Florida or Ohio of 2008 ... and actually far worse
Granted, it is not unusual for America to "lynch" - black men literally and figuratively just because they exist.
We're obviously treading -- based solely on the charges involving the word "lynch" -- on some seriously charged racial ground here.
Thu 09/24/09 1: 22 AM this was hilarious, jane lynch is awesome and the kurt character (awww), can’t wait for next week, not sure i like the whole pregnancy thing but i’ll give it a chance, keeps getting better!!!!!!!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.