from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To kill as a sacrifice.
- transitive v. To kill (oneself) by fire.
- transitive v. To destroy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to kill as a sacrifice
- v. to destroy, especially by fire
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To sacrifice; to offer in sacrifice; to kill, as a sacrificial victim.
- transitive v. To destroy by fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To kill as a sacrificial victim; offer in sacrifice; make a sacrifice of.
- Synonyms See sacrifice, v.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. offer as a sacrifice by killing or by giving up to destruction
Latin immolāre, immolāt-, to sacrifice, sprinkle with sacrificial meal : in-, on; see in-2 + mola, meal, millstone; see melə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin immolō ("I sacrifice"). (Wiktionary)