from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cause asphyxia in; smother.
- intransitive v. To undergo asphyxia; suffocate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To smother or suffocate someone.
- v. To be smothered or suffocated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To bring to a state of asphyxia; to suffocate. [Used commonly in the past pple.]
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To produce asphyxia in; suffocate, or deprive of oxygen to the extent of producing death or very serious symptoms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of
- v. deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing
- v. be asphyxiated; die from lack of oxygen
Sorry, no etymologies found.