from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Failing to win, as in a sport or game: a losing team; a losing lottery ticket.
- adj. Of or relating to one that fails to win: a losing season; a losing battle.
- n. The act of one that loses; loss.
- n. Something lost, such as money at gambling. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That loses or lose, or has or have lost.
- n. The action of the verb to lose.
- v. Present participle of lose.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Given to flattery or deceit; flattering; cozening.
- adj. Causing or likely to cause a loss.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Causing or resulting in loss: as, a losing game, battle, or business.
- Given to flattery; fawning; cozening; deceitful.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
That, it transpired, was glandular fever, and Federer was affected by it not only while losing to Murray in the first round here, but possibly even while he was losing his Wimbledon title and No1 ranking.
Queens Bench Division president Sir Anthony May summed up Jackson LJ's thinking when he stated: "Is it right in principle that a losing party should have to pay an additional amount, in excess of the proper and reasonable costs of litigation, to cover the winning party's lawyer's costs of losing other cases on behalf of other clients?"
"We were successful - if that's what you call losing three-quarters of the Sarronnese forces, half of our black iron equipment, and almost killing the one real wizard we have."
Holmes and Smith took the 2A title losing only one set in three matches.
Moreover, I believe that this conflict has no political solution that can satisfies all parties without what they call losing face.
Hey Obama - that's what you call losing the debate with America.
He made contact with an elderly female who was walking along the roadside, visibly upset and panicking at what she described as losing her money while on the way to the bank for deposit.
Maybe you call it self-respect, but in losing it I also lost the respect of my children, and I am afraid I am losing my wife.
The group also suffered a major blow in losing at least 20 suicide bombers in failed attacks on two U.S. bases in Khost province in August, the official said.
KEY RETURNEES: While Northeastern suffers a big hit in losing Matt Janning, his running mate at guard is back.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.