from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A random or easy shot.
- n. A criticism made without careful thought and aimed at a handy target for attack: reporters taking potshots at the mayor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A shot taken at an easy or random target.
- n. Criticism of an easy target; a cheap shot.
- v. To fire potshots.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shot taken at an easy or casual target (as by a pothunter)
- n. criticism aimed at an easy target and made without careful consideration
So called because such a shot is fired by a hunter whose main purpose is to get food for the pot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)