American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- interj. Used to express various emotions, such as satisfaction, surprise, delight, dislike, or pain.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An exclamation expressive of pain, surprise, pity, compassion, complaint, contempt, dislike, joy, exultation, etc., according to the manner of utterance.
- interj. An expression of relief, relaxation, comfort, confusion, understanding, wonder, awe, et cetera according to uttered inflection.
- interj. A word used for drama or emphasis.
- interj. A syllable used to fill space, particularly in music.
- n. An instance of the interjection ah.
- pro. Eye dialect spelling of I., most often indicating that the speaker is using an American (particularly Southern) accent.
GNU Webster's 1913
- interj. An exclamation, expressive of surprise, pity, complaint, entreaty, contempt, threatening, delight, triumph, etc., according to the manner of utterance.
- mid-1400s Old Frankish (replacing English la) (Wiktionary)
“Errr….ummmm…..ah meanz ah am in no whey oldz enuff to member de top cat cartooney!”
“You do maarvellous. all the best vera goulart said … hi! dear HANNA .. i just see in hebreu dicionary!!! ah ¨ah ¨ah ¨ ..... we keep contact”
“Oh, ah want, ah want, _ah want tuh heah mah Hannah laff again!”
“And of course, he is a Military Expert, having served in – ah, what branch of the service was that?”
“We are also told that No-ah is struggling with his apprenticeship, but we are never told why or what the problem is.”
“No-ah is a novice magician living with his three pets: Guru (a male cat), Nanai (a male dog), and Pritz Rang (a female mouse).”
“Just a breath of balmy air, and then the long cold frost again -- ah! they knew it well and lost no time.”
“Just this past weekend I cleaned my scrap room so that I could see the floor again .... ah, it never lasts long!”
“But as an adult, I regarded the memory of these trips with a mildly affectionate disdain – ah, such innocent fun, but such bourgeois misunderstanding of what constitutes NATURE and WILDERNESS.”
“:: Yes, except as the other poster said, it the show would be cho and mee-cho-ah is very much run together.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ah’.
lots and lots of noises
Just add a few of these words and phrases together to create your own doowop song.
Two-letter words that are common. For a full list of all possible 2-letter words, check out this list.
All playable 2 letter Scrabble words from OSPD4
well, i kinda just signed up two seconds ago, and don't really know what i'm doing yet. so here i'll add words i like. some i know i like more than others, but i'll sort that out later.
Go on, express that feeling! Cor Blimey!
Looking for tweets for ah.