from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- interj. Used to express strong emotion, such as surprise, fear, anger, or pain.
- interj. Used in direct address: Oh, sir! You forgot your keys.
- interj. Used to indicate understanding or acknowledgment of a statement.
- n. Zero.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Expression of surprise.
- interj. Expression of wonder, amazement, or awe.
- interj. Expression of understanding, recognition, or realization.
- interj. A word to precede an offhand or annoyed remark.
- interj. A word to precede an added or comment or afterthought.
- interj. An invocation or address (similar to the vocative in languages with noun declension).
- interj. Exclamation for drama or emphasis (often poetic).
- interj. Expression of pain. See ouch.
- interj. Space filler or extra syllable, especially in (popular) music.
- interj. Used with a term of endearment.
- interj. Expression of mild scepticism
- n. the letter O, o (more commonly spelled o)
- n. the digit 0 (especially in representations of speech)
- n. An utterance of oh; a spoken expression of surprise, acknowledgement, etc.
- v. To utter the interjection oh; to express surprise, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- interj. An exclamation expressing various emotions, according to the tone and manner, especially surprise, pain, sorrow, anxiety, or a wish. See the Note under o.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See O.
- An abbreviation of Old High German.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a midwestern state in north central United States in the Great Lakes region
December 28, 2007 at 11:51 am oh IBK……dat eaz ….dat waz…..oh teh fooey….ai dont hab teh werdz fur wat dat waz…..
I don't see religion, I don't meet someone and say 'what are you? oh, Mormon..oh sorry no thanks!'
"Oh, oh, _oh_!" screamed Grace, pressing her hands tightly before her eyes.
"Oh -- oh -- _oh_ --" she said; and darting from him, ran up-stairs, stumbling on the unaccustomed length of her skirt and catching at the banisters to keep from falling.
"Oh, oh, _oh_!" she sobbed, hiding her face closer to his shoulder.
And, "Oh -- oh -- _oh_!!" she sobbed, collapsing in his arms and clinging to him convulsively as he carried her to her tumbled bed and laid her there.
"Oh, oh, _oh_!" was all she could say as she sat there, swaying herself back and forth, and holding the baby to her flushed cheek.
big news day btwn last night's fight at FBF and the cyclist getting charged for slapping the side of the SUV in the bike lane oh, the driver got out and assaulted him, but never mind that..oh, and he was 60 plus years old
And Irene and Anon and oh crap let’s imagine Greg directing us in singing Kumbiyah around a stoopid campfire with our sticks of ‘Smores gooshing from melting crackling marshmallows and chocolate…..oh hell, Simon, do I ever need a laffffffff!
November 12, 2009 at 4:58 am oh man…..oh man…..ohmanohmanohmanohman………donnie, i tell ya what mate, if my appetite hasn’t been whetted enough before well, my man, you’ve just lifted it to a near-frenzy…….goddam it it’s not fair that i have to wait until it comes halfway around the globe for me to read it……
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.