American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal Brewed coffee.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fourpenny-piece. Also joey.
- n. [capitalized] An old jest: same as Joe Miller.
- n. A lobster too small to be sold legally—that is, one under ten inches in length.
- n. A Portuguese and Brazilian gold coin, worth from eight to nine dollars.
- n. A master; a superior.
- n. A sweetheart; a darling.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See johannes.
- A proposed etymology is as follows: Josephus Daniels (1862-1948) was appointed Secretary of the U.S. Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913. Among his numerous reforms of the Navy was the abolition of the officers' wine mess. From that time on, the strongest drink aboard navy ships was coffee and over the years, a cup of coffee became known as "a cup of Joe". However, further investigation by others at snopes.com showed that the name appeared before the general order by the Navy to ban the wine mess. (Wiktionary)
- Short for (old black) joe, military slang for coffee, from the title of a song by Stephen Foster. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“UnMicD: As another poster noted, "+" has special meaning: it and everything after it up to the @, of course is ignored in determining the actual addressee. joe@, joe+a@, joe+cnjxcvnjsjvsvjs@ all go to joe.”
“guyz2 let joe decide himself who he wants to go out with its not us who tell him 2 go out with this girl or that girl..its all up to joe,,btw..joe make more songs..i like ur song When u lo0k me in the eyes,,btw thnx”
“We will be in NOVA this weekend ... as soon as Aimee gets a ride from Blacksburg. woohoo redskins touchdown!!! apparently, some people find the term joe six pack offensive. what elitists.”
“Fred ♪ ♫ ♪ says: mary lacewing, another joe is a troll.”
“November 25, 2009 at 12: 08 am not sure what the john barrowman comment was about – joe is nothing like him.”
“I have worked with many people in olympia in my time as an LA, as a anti-poverty advocate, and as a community organizer, and joe is one of my favorite people by far.”
“Articulate, sharp, and personable - joe is someone I often bounce policy ideas off of.”
“Wel lmaybe joe is gonna now say he will vote for it.”
“And I am not talking about the typical joe from the bush, I am talking about people with degrees, ask them about global news and they know nothing, they base their knowledge on CNN.”
“Are you under the impression that joe is a Republican?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘joe’.
Inspired by gangerh's extremely addictive list songbirds, this is the same type list, but for male names. Same rules apply:
Names of boys in song titles. Not in the lyrics, just in the title...
List of Boys names
Words or Sayings from the 1920's or whatever that no one really uses anymore (at least in that context).
sheep and more sheep and some
slang for sheep,films that feature sheep ,have you heard of sheeple?
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
Famous TV horses and their riders/owners. I was very into these as a child...
A list of words that WWF recognizes as valid - most are unusual words; some are simply high-scoring.
3 letter words, not the girl band.
boggle and speed scrabble would not be half as fun without them.
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Interesting words and usages.
Coffee, and coffee related stuff. I did spend few hours in The Net with this and now I am up to my neck with "coffee".. I probably return to this list. Later.
Looking for tweets for joe.