from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common English digraph representing generally the sound of “broad a” (â), but often also ä.
- n. To the; at the; with the: the dative of the French definite article, occurring in some phrases frequently used in English, as au fait, au fond, au revoir, etc.
- n. The chemical symbol of gold (L., aurum).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soft yellow malleable ductile (trivalent and univalent) metallic element; occurs mainly as nuggets in rocks and alluvial deposits; does not react with most chemicals but is attacked by chlorine and aqua regia
- n. a unit of length used for distances within the solar system; equal to the mean distance between the Earth and the Sun (approximately 93 million miles or 150 million kilometers)
Sorry, no etymologies found.