American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The univalent radical or group OH, a characteristic component of bases, certain acids, phenols, alcohols, carboxylic and sulfonic acids, and amphoteric compounds.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A compound radical (OH) which has never been isolated, but which is a factor in a vast number of chemical compounds. Thus, the oxygen bases are regarded as compounds of hydroxyl with electropositive atoms or radicals, as sodium hydroxid, NaOH. The oxygen acids are also regarded as compounds of hydroxyl with electronegative atoms or radicals, as sulphuric acid, SO2(OH)2. Water may be regarded as hydroxyl hydrid, HOH.
- n. chemistry A univalent radical or functional group (–OH) in organic chemistry; present in alcohols, phenols, carboxylic acids and certain other classes of compounds.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A compound radical, or unsaturated group, HO, consisting of one atom of hydrogen and one of oxygen. It is a characteristic part of the hydrates, the alcohols, the oxygen acids, etc.
- n. the monovalent group -OH in such compounds as bases and some acids and alcohols
- hydr(o)- + ox(ygen) + -yl. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“(SIMS), which allowed them to analyze the grains for a compound known as hydroxyl, which can be incorporated into apatite's chemical structure if the mineral crystallizes from magma that contains water.”
“Rather, coal power production and other industrial processes release sulfur dioxide -- the same gas that billows from volcanoes -- that later reacts with atmospheric molecules called hydroxyl radicals to produce sulfates as a byproduct.”
“As a former high school chemistry teacher, I would often teach my students about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide or DHMO, also known as hydroxyl acid.”
“Many studies have shown that trace gases and pollutants in the lowest level of our atmosphere break down naturally, thanks to molecules called hydroxyl (OH) radicals.”
“Methane is destroyed by reaction with an atmospheric "cleanser" called the hydroxyl free radical, or OH.”
“To the astronomers 'surprise, Spitzer picked up the signature of rapidly spinning fragments of water molecules, called hydroxyl, or OH.”
“Methane can be destroyed, however, by reactions involving an atmospheric "cleanser" called the hydroxyl free radical (OH).”
“NASA-engineered collision last year found a surprisingly rich mixture that, in addition to the silver, included water and compounds such as hydroxyl, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, ammonia, and free sodium.”
“When you want to hydrate your skin use a lotion which contains smooth-out ingredients such as hydroxyl acid or salicylic acid.”
“Rebamipide is an anti-ulcer drug used to treat peptic ulcer, which has been demonstrated to enhance the production of endogenous prostaglandin E2 via COX-2 and thereby act as a gastric mucosal protectant, to promote mucin production, and to suppress the production of free radicals, such as hydroxyl radicals and superoxide ions.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hydroxyl’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
Looking for tweets for hydroxyl.