from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chemical compound containing the hydroxyl group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An univalent anion (OH-1) based on the hydroxyl functional group.
- n. Any substance containing such an anion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hydrate; a substance containing hydrogen and oxygen, made by combining water with an oxide, and yielding water by elimination. The hydroxides are regarded as compounds of hydroxyl, united usually with basic element or radical.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a compound of an oxide with water
- n. a chemical compound containing the hydroxyl group
Sorry, no etymologies found.