from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A salt or ester of acetic acid.
- n. Cellulose acetate or any of various products, especially fibers, derived from it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any salt or ester of acetic acid.
- n. cellulose acetate
- n. A transparent sheet used for overlays.
- n. A disc of aluminium covered in a wax used to make demonstration copies of a phonograph record.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A salt formed by the union of acetic acid with a base or positive radical.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem., a salt formed by the union of acetic acid with a base.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a salt or ester of acetic acid
- n. a fabric made from fibers of cellulose acetate
Latin acetum ("vinegar"), from acere ("to be sour"). (Wiktionary)