from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chemical compound containing the bivalent group SO4.
- transitive v. To treat or react with sulfuric acid or a sulfate.
- transitive v. Electricity To cause lead sulfate to accumulate on (the plates of a lead-acid storage battery).
- intransitive v. To become sulfated.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any ester of sulfuric acid.
- n. Any salt of sulfuric acid.
- v. To treat something with sulfuric acid, a sulfate, or with sulfur dioxide.
- v. To accumulate a deposit of lead sulfate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An amended spelling of sulphate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. convert into a sulfate
- n. a salt or ester of sulphuric acid
French, from Latin sulfur, sulfur.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)