from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The univalent chemical ion NH4+, derived from ammonia, whose compounds chemically resemble the alkali metals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The univalent NH4+ cation, derived by the protonation of ammonia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A compound radical, NH4, having the chemical relations of a strongly basic element like the alkali metals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to the hypothetical base (NH4) of ammonia, analogous to a metal, as potassium. .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ion NH4 derived from ammonia; behaves in many respects like an alkali metal ion
ammon(ia) + -ium.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
ammonia + -ium (Wiktionary)