American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chemistry A radical having the general formula RCO-, derived from an organic acid.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name introduced by Liebermann to designate an acid radical such as acetyl, C2H3O.
- n. organic chemistry Any of class of organic radicals, RCO-, formed by the removal of a hydroxyl group from a carboxylic acid.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Org. Chem.) An acid radical, as acetyl, malonyl, or benzoyl. An acyl radical can be depicted as R-CO-, where -CO- is the carbonyl group, and R is the group that characterizes the acyl moiety.
- n. any group or radical of the form RCO- where R is an organic group
- ac(id) + -yl. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The preparation of pentagalloyl glucose has proved this compound to be nearly identical with tannin obtained from galls (_tannin_); a few other natural tannins belong to this type which Fischer terms acyl compounds of sugar with hydroxybenzoic acids.”
“To communicate with its brethren, it uses a molecule called acyl-homoserine lactone, or AHL.”
“The tranport of these fat building blocks is carried out by a protein called acyl carrier protein (ACP), and once again, vitamin B5 is required for this protein to function.”
“Upon completion and termination of the experiment the radiolabelled acyl derivates are extracted using organic solvents.”
“- Create an icon in your menu to run the script and make it possible to start it from the terminal by typing "acyl".”
“Quorum sensing (via signals such as acyl-homoserine lactones) to act cooperatively. this would be group selection I'd say.”
“You are suggesting that small RNA would assume the function performed by protein amino acyl synthetases and if we presume all the foregoing what leads you to think this mixture would evolve to produce a cell?”
“Yeah, a gradual, step by step development of DNA codons, mRNA, varieties of tRNA and amino acyl tRNA synthetases, and all that on route to a genetic code - now that's something to stick in your weed pipe.”
“The acyl derivatives of glutathione also provide protection to the cell plasma membrane, the outer fatty portion of the cell.”
“The ghrelin hormone is unique in that it requires acylation (the addition of a fatty acid) by a specific enzyme (ghrelin O-acyl transferase, or GOAT) for activation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acyl’.
Looking for tweets for acyl.