from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The acetic acid radical CH3CO.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The univalent radical CH3CO- derived from acetic acid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A complex, hypothetical radical, composed of two parts of carbon to three of hydrogen and one of oxygen. Its hydroxide is acetic acid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A univalent radical supposed to exist in acetic acid and its derivatives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the organic group of acetic acid (CH3CO-)
From Latin acētum "vinegar" + Ancient Greek ὕλη (hylē) "substance". (Wiktionary)