from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The univalent radical C6H5CH2-, derived from toluene.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The univalent radical C6H5-CH2- related to toluene and benzoic acid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A compound radical, C6H5.CH2, related to toluene and benzoic acid; -- commonly used adjectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An organic radical (C6H5CH2) which does not exist in the free state, but in combination forms a considerable number of compounds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the univalent radical derived from toluene
From benz- + -yl (Wiktionary)