American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A violent fight between or as if between dogs.
- n. An illegal, organized fight between dogs, arranged for spectator entertainment and betting.
- n. An aerial battle between fighter planes.
- v. To arrange illegal dogfights.
- v. To engage in a dogfight.
- v. To engage in a dogfight with.
- n. A twisting turning battle between two or more military aircraft, especially between fighters.
- n. A fight between dogs.
- v. To engage in a battle between fighter planes.
- n. a fiercely disputed contest
- n. an aerial engagement between fighter planes
- n. a violent fight between dogs (sometimes organized illegally for entertainment and gambling)
- v. engage in an aerial battle with another fighter plane
- n. disorderly fighting
- v. arrange for an illegal dogfight
“Once the Soviets were gone, these groups started a full-blown civil war, mainly for power and money—the kind of battle that is called a dogfight by our people.”
“Two struggling teams; we should have been in a dogfight from the first bucket.”
“Btw., Why is that combat between airplanes is called a dogfight?”
“No one who goes to a dogfight is a bloody Braveheart.”
“A dogfight is the same, no matter what your instruments ...”
“Philadelphia coach Larry Brown turned the game into a low-possession dogfight, which is the way it must be in Life Without Iverson.”
“What they are calling a dogfight is what I would call a fur ball of a dogfight.”
“Our dogfight was a variation on "King of the Hill”
“I couldn't get The Citadel's nickname Bulldogs in the headline, but it came out Mountaineers prevail in a 'dogfight'.”
“AUDIO FROM SAN DIEGOLaDainian Tomlinson: Says Patriots, Belichick had 'no class' during the upset winTomlinson: Credits New England defense with stopping Chargers in red zoneTom Brady: Pass to Caldwell was biggest play of the gameMarty Schottenheimer: Bitterly frustrated after yet another playoff lossBill Belichick: Evenly matched 'dogfight' went Patriots way”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dogfight’.
As an ongoing part of my project, Dogs in Metaphor and Idiom, Illustrated, (www.metaphordogs.org) I am continually adding terms. If you know a term that fi...
Unabashedly stolen from a comment made by courier12.
announcement of c..., campaign headquar..., campaign season, campaign staff, campaign strategy, campaign tactic, campaign team, campaign trail, campaigning, candidate, candidate registr..., caucus and 930 more...
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
An extensive list I have been working on for quite some time. Feel free to add more of the kind if you miss any.
Looking for tweets for dogfight.