from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Football The contest between two teams from the time the ball is snapped until it is declared dead.
- n. Sports A practice session or informal game, as between two units of the same team.
- n. A rough-and-tumble struggle; a tussle.
- n. A skirmish.
- intransitive v. Sports To engage in a scrimmage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rough fight.
- n. In some team sports, especially soccer, a practice game which does not count on a team's record.
- n. In American football or Canadian football, a play that begins with a snap from the center while opposing teams are on either side of a line of scrimmage.
- v. To have, or be involved in, a scrimmage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Formerly, a skirmish; now, a general row or confused fight or struggle.
- n. The struggle in the rush lines after the ball is put in play.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A skirmish; a confused row or contest; a tussle.
- n. Specifically, in foot-ball:
- n. A confused, close struggle round the ball.
- n. The act on the part of the two contesting teams of forming in opposing lines, and putting the ball in play.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a noisy riotous fight
- n. (American football) practice play between a football team's squads
- v. practice playing (a sport)
Taylor said the injury affects him most when trying to move sideline-to-sideline but that running "straight downhill" or attacking the line of scrimmage is "not a problem."
The Gold-Blue scrimmage is scheduled for April 23 and will be the first one held at night.
The Blue-White scrimmage is scheduled for April 10 (tentative, because of various health issues).
SPRING SNAPSHOT: The Black and Gold scrimmage is scheduled for April 17.
He broke a handful of long runs in scrimmage situations and showed good blocking ability.
The outcome of the scrimmage is no longer in the slightest doubt, except for one thing: whether or not somone on the starting five will suffer a torn ACL, or dislocate their shoulder, or simply be too banged up and exhausted to compete effectively against Duke.
But the Colts changed their plan, stacking eight or nine defenders at the line of scrimmage from the start.
Brown, who came into the game leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage, is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam Monday.
His 30.5 sacks broke the old school all-time record of 26.5 by Eric Smith (1984-86, 88) and his 43.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage is topped only by Carnell Lake's 45.5 (1985-88) in UCLA history ...
Winning the battle of the trenches on the line of scrimmage is paramount to sustaining a drive.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.