from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To struggle roughly; scuffle.
- n. A rough or vigorous struggle; a scuffle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A physical fight or struggle.
- v. To have a tussle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To struggle, as in sport; to scuffle; to struggle with.
- n. A struggle; a scuffle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A struggle; a conflict; a scuffle.
- To struggle; wrestle confusedly; scuffle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. fight or struggle in a confused way at close quarters
- n. disorderly fighting
- v. make messy or untidy
Middle English tussillen, frequentative of -tousen, to pull roughly.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Related to tousle. (Wiktionary)