American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A fight between gamecocks, often fitted with metal gaffs, that is arranged as a spectacle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A match or contest of cocks; a very ancient sport, in which cocks, usually armed with long steel spurs bound to the shanks, are set to fight with each other, commonly in a “pit,” so called.
- n. A contest, in a cockpit, between gamecocks fitted with cockspurs
- v. To participate in (as a rooster), or organize and run (as a gambler or bookie), a cockfighting event.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A match or contest of gamecocks.
- n. a match in a cockpit between two fighting cocks heeled with metal gaffs
- cock + fight (Wiktionary)
“That is what they term a cockfight dear boy, you must be a Mexican to attend one I fear.”
“Most were arrested on suspicion of being present at a cockfight, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor”
“In California, participating in or knowingly attending a cockfight is a crime.”
“Being a spectator at a cockfight is a misdemeanor offense with a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail or a $50 fine.”
“I should have expected the "cockfight" would amount to a quick display of two cheerfully bored roosters who could have auditioned for a wholesome children's show.”
“All I wanted was to stop the bullshit, not get into a preternatural cockfight.”
“In February, a bullfight and cockfight in Quito called "Bulls and Cocks for Freedom" drew about 15,000 people.”
“West is like a cunning snake charmer as he describes a cockfight in a garage or an army of extras moving across a papier-mâché mountain in a Napoleonic swirl.”
“Mexicans, and that in two or three generations the Californians would be seen of a Sunday morning on their way to a cockfight with”
“Lincoln was once invited to referee a cockfight where a bird refused combat.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cockfight’.
Inspired by the creepy decadence of Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans.
katzenklavier, pasilalinic-sympa..., the jewel-encrust..., bird's nest soup, ghost net, bottom trawling, coal industry, cat juggling, rattlesnake roundup, fishing, dancing bear, defoliant and 89 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for cockfight.