from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fight between gamecocks, often fitted with metal gaffs, that is arranged as a spectacle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A contest, in a cockpit, between gamecocks fitted with cockspurs
- v. To participate in (as a rooster), or organize and run (as a gambler or bookie), a cockfighting event.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A match or contest of gamecocks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A match or contest of cocks; a very ancient sport, in which cocks, usually armed with long steel spurs bound to the shanks, are set to fight with each other, commonly in a “pit,” so called.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a match in a cockpit between two fighting cocks heeled with metal gaffs
cock + fight (Wiktionary)