from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fight between gamecocks, often fitted with metal gaffs, that is arranged as a spectacle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A contest, in a cockpit, between gamecocks fitted with cockspurs
- v. To participate in (as a rooster), or organize and run (as a gambler or bookie), a cockfighting event.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A match or contest of gamecocks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A match or contest of cocks; a very ancient sport, in which cocks, usually armed with long steel spurs bound to the shanks, are set to fight with each other, commonly in a “pit,” so called.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a match in a cockpit between two fighting cocks heeled with metal gaffs
That is what they term a cockfight dear boy, you must be a Mexican to attend one I fear.
Most were arrested on suspicion of being present at a cockfight, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor
In California, participating in or knowingly attending a cockfight is a crime.
Being a spectator at a cockfight is a misdemeanor offense with a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail or a $50 fine.
I should have expected the "cockfight" would amount to a quick display of two cheerfully bored roosters who could have auditioned for a wholesome children's show.
All I wanted was to stop the bullshit, not get into a preternatural cockfight.
In February, a bullfight and cockfight in Quito called "Bulls and Cocks for Freedom" drew about 15,000 people.
West is like a cunning snake charmer as he describes a cockfight in a garage or an army of extras moving across a papier-mâché mountain in a Napoleonic swirl.
Mexicans, and that in two or three generations the Californians would be seen of a Sunday morning on their way to a cockfight with
Lincoln was once invited to referee a cockfight where a bird refused combat.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.