Did you by any chance mean duff?
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal Difference: "[His] flaw . . . starts with a fleshy calculation, an instinct to blunt disagreement and split the diff” ( Peggy Noonan).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of difference, different, or differs.
- n. slang Abbreviation of difference.
- n. computing Any program which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.
- n. computing The output of a diff program. A diff file.
- n. medicine Abbreviation of differential: differential of types of white blood cell in a complete blood count.
- n. slang Abbreviation of difficult.
- n. rock climbing A difficult route.
- v. transitive, computing To run a diff program on (files or items).
- v. transitive, computing To produce a description of changes made to a collection of files. To produce a patch file.
- v. transitive, computing To compare two files or other objects, manually or otherwise.
- n. computing A program, historically part of the Unix operating system, which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.
“Not only is its title différent from the first édition but there are many changes in the text Nearly al! of the material in the two volumes of the fîrst édition is put into the fîrst volume of this édition.”
“The diff is the land mass showing in the middle of the fox.”
“The % diff is lower, but there is a larger sample size.”
“I use a Patternmaster on my SBE for waterfowl but really can't tell any diff from the factory Mod. tube.”
“Strangely familiar, and yet possessed of a certain différance!”
“So people out there can put "journalists" in quotes all they want, but the diff is none of us up there would ever write a commentary on a panel we didn't see.”
“Opera already has a integrated torrent downloader, the only thing that looks diff is the accelerator and Cooliris support”
“Colony, the diff is Condi has no real love from the black community.”
“To get there we put my car in diff lock, kept it in first gear, and drove basically straight up a 65% grade.”
“The only diff is that the POST button is removed from the standard comments form thereby forcing the user to preview.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘diff’.
Words that have been cut down from their original glory, ie. apocopes, but are still 'understandable' in the chopped form. eg. doc for doctor. Most of them are horribilisms, I know :-( Let's keep t...
Looking for tweets for diff.