from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal Difference: "[His] flaw . . . starts with a fleshy calculation, an instinct to blunt disagreement and split the diff” ( Peggy Noonan).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Abbreviation of difference.
- n. Any program which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.
- n. The output of a diff program. A diff file.
- n. Abbreviation of differential: differential of types of white blood cell in a complete blood count.
- n. Abbreviation of difficult.
- n. A difficult route.
- v. To run a diff program on (files or items).
- v. To produce a description of changes made to a collection of files. To produce a patch file.
- v. To compare two files or other objects, manually or otherwise.
- proper n. A program, historically part of the Unix operating system, which compares two files or sets of files and outputs a description of the differences between them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of difference, different, or differs.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Not only is its title différent from the first édition but there are many changes in the text Nearly al! of the material in the two volumes of the fîrst édition is put into the fîrst volume of this édition.
The diff is the land mass showing in the middle of the fox.
The % diff is lower, but there is a larger sample size.
I use a Patternmaster on my SBE for waterfowl but really can't tell any diff from the factory Mod. tube.
Strangely familiar, and yet possessed of a certain différance!
So people out there can put "journalists" in quotes all they want, but the diff is none of us up there would ever write a commentary on a panel we didn't see.
Opera already has a integrated torrent downloader, the only thing that looks diff is the accelerator and Cooliris support
Colony, the diff is Condi has no real love from the black community.
To get there we put my car in diff lock, kept it in first gear, and drove basically straight up a 65% grade.
The only diff is that the POST button is removed from the standard comments form thereby forcing the user to preview.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.