from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Computer Science The standard algorithm for the compression of digital images.
- n. Computer Science A digital image stored as a file so compressed: e-mailed me a JPEG of her house.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- Acronym of Joint Photographic Experts Group. (It is an image compression standard)
- An image using the JFIF image file format, containing an image compressed using JPEG compression
- An image file in the JFIF format.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A standardized format for storing graphic data in binary computer files, allowing over 16 million different colors. It allows for lossy compression, i. e. the compression of data into a form which re-expands into an image close, but not identical to the original image. Files stored in this format usually carry the extension jpg or jpeg. Compare GIF.
In some rare instances, Camera Control Pro 2 displayed an error and quit unexpectedly when any of RAW and / or JPEG images recorded at an image quality of NEF (RAW) +JPEG was moved from the destination folder specified in the Download Options dialog to the Trash from the Finder.
My pictures, even in JPEG, that is compressed, format, run well over five megs and in RAW run to 12 megs.
Photos must be in JPEG format and less than 500k in size.
The question should be, is NASA only going to release degraded images in JPEG format or will they release all raw images in whatever image format, even if the size is in the megabytes or gigabytes.
I still found their works in JPEG with the big file.
CONTENTdm is used as the database for the project; items are in JPEG format with varying dpi; search results are presented as image, title, subject, and description (though some items have no description); clicking on the title brings up the more detailed record
Images are displayed in JPEG, JPEG2000 or GIF files.
I used Import to read in JPEG files of the necessary images.
However, bundled with the JPEG is the stolen data in an encrypted format.
New JPEG format: Although it may not happen until 2010, a new type of image file, called JPEG XR, may start showing up in cameras.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.