American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Suitable or fit for drinking; potable: drinkable water.
- n. A beverage.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That may be drunk; fit or suitable for drinking; potable.
- n. A liquor that may be drunk.
- adj. of water Safe to drink.
- adj. Of good or satisfactory quality.
- n. usually in plural That which can be drunk.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Capable of being drunk; suitable for drink; potable. Macaulay. Also used substantively, esp. in the plural.
- adj. suitable for drinking
- n. any liquid suitable for drinking
- drink + -able (Wiktionary)
“My two most recent good accidents resulted in what I call a drinkable mango on a stick, tequila optional, and vodka/cream cheese chocolate cake, which tastes better than it might sound. morgaine7”
“The only thing that could make this stuff drinkable is if the Anti-Trust Exemptions get scratched in the process.”
“And there are some cities where the water is drinkable from the tap.”
“But it is very "drinkable" - you'd love to have another one; just not right now, thank you very much.”
“Presumably every beer on the top of those lists that I linked to are "drinkable" - people want another one.”
“Since quitting the river we have not enjoyed what under any other circumstances would be called drinkable water; what was found being merely the contents of shallow mud holes, in the bottom of acacia swamps, over which the dryness of the season alone enabled us to travel.”
“Are we paying a fair price for water that is not compliant with current laws, that is water that cannot legally be defined as drinkable?”
“This translates to about two pounds of food, plus a gallon of potable ( "drinkable") water.”
“Unsafe drinking water is shown to lead to poverty through time spent by women and girls to fetch 'drinkable' water from long distances.”
“Some areas place water in cristal vases around the Virgin to represent the tears she has shed, but in San Miguel de Allende, for some reason these little vases of water were replaced with popsicles, or some kind of drinkable refreshment.”
Looking for tweets for drinkable.