American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal Brewed coffee.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A breed of the domestic hen, originated in the United States. The javas are of good size and broad and deep shape, and rank well for utility. There are two varieties, the blacks, which have dark legs, and the mottled, the latter being evenly marked black and white, with legs also mottled. Both varieties have upright combs.
- n. A blend of coffee imported from the island of Java.
- n. US, colloquial Coffee in general.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One of the islands of the Malay Archipelago belonging to the Netherlands.
- n. Java coffee, a kind of coffee brought from Java.
- n. (Computers) an object-oriented computer programming language, derived largely from
C++, used widely for design and display of web pages on the world-wide web. It is an interpreted language, and has been suggested as a platform-independent code to allow execution of the same progam under multiple operating systems without recompiling. The language is still (1997) under active development, and is evolving.
- n. a platform-independent object-oriented programming language
- n. an island in Indonesia to the south of Borneo; one of the world's most densely populated regions
- n. a beverage consisting of an infusion of ground coffee beans
- After Java 1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Installing a FreeBSD 6.4 slave: manually download various java sources to my laptop, scp them up to the FreeBSD machine, build * java* overnight, then make a user, add an rc. local entry etc.”
“The term java can mean coffee, a programming language, an island of Indonesia or even something else.”
“May 17, 2009 at 5: 39 PM i've developed something similar in java, works on os x or windows, open source: iplaylist copier”
“Vocational courses in java and web development, and Info.”
“Starbucks had about 600 stores in java-guzzling Japan, but China is the most promising market for the firm, which has hung its green mermaid logo outside nearly 10,000 stores globally.”
“Sitting in my favorite coffeehouse with a new notebook and a hot cup of java is my idea of heaven.”
“Java iTunes Clone jTunes is an iTunes clone written in java with full daap (rendezvous) support.”
“It uses google to create a cool ass graph-thingy (in java, cause java rocks), for a selected URL.”
“Now I configured alternatives to use this version of java whenever I call java from command line:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘java’.
The last time someone tried this theme, it was a closed list with only two words; time to make amends. Scripting languages, etc. are also fair game...
Most used programming languages
Words that were well established before they gained special use in computing systems.
Group some most said words related to software development
Vendors can get oddly creative.
My Tag Cloud
Coffee, and coffee related stuff. I did spend few hours in The Net with this and now I am up to my neck with "coffee".. I probably return to this list. Later.
All of which are mentioned in O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels, someplace or other. Most are British navy ships, some are French navy, and others aren't either one.
See also the list Sh...
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
A big list of color names for use on wordrainbow.com
Looking for tweets for java.