American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An athletic contest usually limited to men in which each contestant participates in the following ten track and field events: the 100-meter, 400-meter, and 1,500-meter runs; the 110-meter high hurdles; the discus and javelin throws; the shot put; the pole vault; the high jump; and the long jump.
- n. an athletic contest consisting of ten events which includes sprinting, hurdling, jumping, and throwing over a span of two days
- n. a contest in science and math proving skill
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. In the modern Olympic Games, a composite contest consisting of a 100-meter run, a broad jump, putting the shot, a running high-jump, a 400-meter run, throwing the discus, a 100-meter hurdle race, pole vaulting, throwing the javelin, and a 1500-meter run.
- n. an athletic contest consisting of ten different events
- From the Greek stem dec meaning ten (Wiktionary)
- deca- + (penta)thlon. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“But, after all, the solar decathlon is not only about getting energy from the sun, it is also about finding ways to conserve and reduce the energy required by the residence.”
“Teams compete in 10 areas (that's why it's called a decathlon): Architecture, Market Appeal, Engineering, Communications, Affordability, Comfort Zone, Hot Water, Appliances, Home Entertainment, Energy Balance (Go to DOE's awesome competition page to learn more).”
“ÂTeams compete in 10 areas (that's why it's called a decathlon): Architecture, Market Appeal, Engineering, Communications, Affordability, Comfort Zone, Hot Water, Appliances, Home Entertainment, Energy Balance (Go to DOE's awesome competition page to learn more).”
“Bryan Clay celebrates becoming the second American gold medalist in decathlon.”
“Daley Thompson called the decathlon the ultimate test of stamina.”
“I doubt McConaughey was training for a 'decathlon'.”
“In Dr. Vaillant's "decathlon" of mental health-10 measures, taken at various points between ages 18 and 80, including personality stability at ages 21 and 29, and social supports at 70-you have ranked in the top 10 of the Grant Study men the entire way through, one of only three men to have done so.”
“Editor's Note: Don't forget about Daley Thompson, the two-time decathlon gold medal winner.”
“I remember the decathlon contest between Rafer Johnson and C.K. Yang, and I remember the wonder of Wilma Rudolph; but my strongest memory, for some odd reason you can never fully explain what strikes your fancy as a kid is of the field hockey match between India and Pakistan.”
“Hard-working Gunnar Nixon has decathlon record in sights”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘decathlon’.
All things to do with the modern Summer Olympics
Catching a misspelling is both pleasurable (hooray learning!) and painful (every sentence you now realize you've ever marred with the offending word flashes to mind in one terrible instant).
Looking for tweets for decathlon.