from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An athletic contest usually limited to men in which each contestant participates in the following ten track and field events: the 100-meter, 400-meter, and 1,500-meter runs; the 110-meter high hurdles; the discus and javelin throws; the shot put; the pole vault; the high jump; and the long jump.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an athletic contest consisting of ten events which includes sprinting, hurdling, jumping, and throwing over a span of two days
- n. a contest in science and math proving skill
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In the modern Olympic Games, a composite contest consisting of a 100-meter run, a broad jump, putting the shot, a running high-jump, a 400-meter run, throwing the discus, a 100-meter hurdle race, pole vaulting, throwing the javelin, and a 1500-meter run.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an athletic contest consisting of ten different events
deca- + (penta)thlon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Greek stem dec meaning ten (Wiktionary)