from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who sings comic opera roles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A comic singer, particularly in comic opera
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The comic actor in an opera.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The comic actor in an opera; a comic singer.
- Comic: as, basso buffo. See bouffe and buffa.
Italian, from buffare, to puff, of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian buffo (Wiktionary)