from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A group of four persons or things, especially two couples.
- n. A game, especially a golf match, played by four persons, usually competing in pairs.
- n. The players in such a game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group of four, a quartet or a game (such as golf) played by four players, especially by two teams of two.
- n. A fourgie, sex between four people
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of four; requiring four participants.
- n. A game between four players, with two on each side and each side playing but one ball, the partners striking alternately. It is called a mixed foursome when each side consists of a man and a woman.
- n. A group of four people or objects.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- By fours; with four: said of anything in which four act together:
- n. A golf match in which four persons engage, two playing against the other two.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. four people considered as a unit
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of three and one
Perry was on the brink of a spectacular victory with Jim Furyk over Garcia and Westwood in foursome play.
New to the foursome is Louis (Jennifer Hudson), who is conspicuous both in her in appearance and in her targeted, jarring service to the plot.
Subtitled: “Talk Show Interviews with Coatlicue the Aztec Goddess, Malinche the Maligned, the Virgin of Guadalupe and La Llorona: The Wailer,” the fierce foursome is a celebration of the dark goddesses — Mexican figures that have been imprisoned inside the symbols of (respectively) destruction, betrayal, saintliness and errant motherhood.
They were an imposing foursome from the opening tip.
The word foursome is often misused today as a description of four players in the same group.
The foursome is soon returning to Las Vegas to perform the “Sgt. Pepper’s” album live at a residency.
I’ve been thinking that our happy little foursome is so balanced.
Completing the foursome was a sixty-year-old blacksmith and jack of all trades named Cornbury S.
A foursome was the last thing the boy needed and if the bloody girl mentioned chairs again he'd bloody brain her.
Of all the stymies in the world, that which has been laid you by your own partner in a foursome is the most exasperating.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.