American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Mathematics A polygon having four sides.
- adj. Having four sides.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having four sides; composed of four lines.
- n. A figure formed of four Straight lines. In the old geometry the lines are supposed to terminate at four intersections; in modern geometry the lines are regarded as infinite, and a plane quadrilateral as having six angles. Such a figure has three diagonals or axes, being straight lines through opposite vertices, and three centers, which are the intersections of the axes.
- n. Milit., the space inclosed between, and defended by, four fortresses: as, the Bulgarian quadrilateral. The most famous quadrilateral was that in northern Italy, inclosed by the fortresses of Peschiera, Mantua, Verona, and Legnago.
- n. a polygon having four sides.
- adj. having four sides.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having four sides, and consequently four angles; quadrangular.
- n. (Geom.) A plane figure having four sides, and consequently four angles; a quadrangular figure; any figure formed by four lines.
- n. An area defended by four fortresses supporting each other.
- adj. having four sides
- n. a four-sided polygon
“For instance, the term quadrilateral, or four-sided rectilinear figure, is correctly divided into square, oblong, rhombus, rhomboid and trapezium.”
“In the dead center of the quadrilateral was the sign of the pentagram.”
“So far as the so-called quadrilateral talks were concerned, these were one-off talks at officer level between Australia, US, India and Japan.”
“All these stars are of the second order of magnitude (the specific meaning of this expression will be explained in the next chapter), except the last ([delta]) of the quadrilateral, which is of the third order.”
“Then this rule would to another: opposite angles in the quadrilateral will be the sum of 180 degrees.”
“A quadrilateral is a polygon with 4 sides, and the term includes square, rectangle, trapezoid, kite, etc.”
“Mr. Callahan A quadrilateral is a polygon with four sides.”
“This South Korean loser comedy's love "quadrilateral," in which a Kangwon Province stamp-maker (Park Kwang-jun) attempts to revenge his cuckolding by a cab-driving womanizer (Jung Bo-seog), may not be fundamentally any more original than the triangle in Never Forever.”
“When Lord Roberts had swept past to the north he had brushed aside the flower of the Orange Free State army, who occupied the considerable quadrilateral which is formed by the north-east of that State.”
“If anybody in this world who didn't have a Ph. D in mathematics wrote this book, they would NEVER have used such a ridiculously pompous word as "quadrilateral" for a square.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘quadrilateral’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
four; fourfold; square
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's book, Ptolemy's Gate.
a collection of words we study in pre-algebra
"Qu..." seems to produce some extraordinarily euphonious words.
Derivatives from Chapter 9 of Part One of English Words from Latin and Greek Elements
Looking for tweets for quadrilateral.