from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A phantom; an apparition.
- n. An image of an ideal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An image or representation of an idea; a representation of an ideal form; an apparition of some actual or imaginary entity, or of some aspect of reality.
- n. A phantom, a ghost or elusive entity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An image or representation; a form; a phantom; an apparition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A likeness; an image; a representation.
- n. A shade or specter; an apparition; hence, a confusing reflection or reflected image.
- n. One of the small floating winged figures frequently found in Greek art, especially on Greek vases.
Greek eidōlon, from eidos, form; see weid- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek εἴδωλον (eidōlon, "figure, representation"), from εἶδος (eidos, "sight"), from εἴδω (eidō, "I see"). (Wiktionary)