from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to geometric surfaces that are defined by quadratic equations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surface whose shape is defined in terms of a quadratic equation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the second degree.
- n. A quantic of the second degree. See quantic.
- n. A surface whose equation in three variables is of the second degree. Spheres, spheroids, ellipsoids, paraboloids, hyperboloids, also cones and cylinders with circular bases, are quadrics.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In algebra, a homogeneous expression of the second degree in the variables.
- In algebra and geometry, of the second degree; quadratic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a curve or surface whose equation (in Cartesian coordinates) is of the second degree
Sorry, no etymologies found.