from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two quadric surfaces generated by rotating a hyperbola about either of its main axes and having a finite center with certain plane sections that are hyperbolas and others that are ellipses or circles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A particular surface in three-dimensional Euclidean space, the graph of a quadratic with all three variables squared and their coefficients not all of the same sign.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A surface of the second order, which is cut by certain planes in hyperbolas; also, the solid, bounded in part by such a surface.
- adj. Having some property that belongs to an hyperboloid or hyperbola.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A quadric surface having a center not at infinity, and some of its plane sections hyperbolas.
- n. A hyperbola of a higher order.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quadric surface generated by rotating a hyperbola around its main axis
Sorry, no etymologies found.