Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kindling or setting on fire; burning; combustion.
- n. Specifically— Oxidation by the rapid combustion of a substance, attended with an extremely sudden evolution of flame and vapor. It is accomplished by mixing the substance with potassium chlorate or nitrate (niter), and projecting the mixture in small portions at a time into a red-hot crucible.
- n. The rapid combustion of metals by the electric spark.
- n. The act of deflagrating; an intense fire; a conflagration or explosion. Specifically, combustion that spreads subsonically via thermal conduction.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A burning up; conflagration.
- n. (Chem.) The act or process of deflagrating.
- n. combustion that propagates through a gas or along the surface of an explosive at a rapid rate driven by the transfer of heat
“This is why it is called the deflagration- to-detonation DDT transition.”
“If it is a deflagration the explosion propagates at subsonic velocity, as opposed to a full fledge detonation where there is a supersonic shock front.”
“Get some facts about explosion, deflagration and detonation, be it for gas, kerosene or H2.”
“First, I am not saying there will not be a deflagration”
“The propellant deflagration produced only a fireball, and a small one at that, by comparison to a LOX-hydrocarbon mix.”
“The deflagration not being sufficient to unbind the star, and thus cannot halt the collapse, it creates a neutronstar although all the other parameters are the same as for a SNIa.”
“The deflagration is what signifies a SNIa, and it is possible that there exists a subclass (not convincingly detected) of SN where the progenitor (or one of its progenitors) are a magnesium WD.”
“As for mass ranges, first of all it ofc doesnt have to be 2 WD of equal mass so the limits only occur for the pair, and for the upper masslimits orbital motion and deflagration point are very important factors, as it is the deflagration that counters the collapse in the first place.”
“I dont know if there is a way to determine this except in simulations, but 2 WD orbiting very closely will either grace eachother that should set off the deflagration or one of the WD will be gravitationally disrupted and mass transferred over.”
“To answer your question the deflagration likely is caused during the collapse of the white dwarf in the seven to eight seconds it takes to reach its highest density during the collapse, after which the star detonates when a certain density is reached.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘deflagration’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
all the words I included in this TED book.
Looking for tweets for deflagration.