from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of deflagrating; an intense fire; a conflagration or explosion. Specifically, combustion that spreads subsonically via thermal conduction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A burning up; conflagration.
- n. The act or process of deflagrating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kindling or setting on fire; burning; combustion.
- n. Specifically— Oxidation by the rapid combustion of a substance, attended with an extremely sudden evolution of flame and vapor. It is accomplished by mixing the substance with potassium chlorate or nitrate (niter), and projecting the mixture in small portions at a time into a red-hot crucible.
- n. The rapid combustion of metals by the electric spark.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. combustion that propagates through a gas or along the surface of an explosive at a rapid rate driven by the transfer of heat
Sorry, no etymologies found.