American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A bitter, abusive denunciation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as diatribe
- n. A continued discourse or disputation.
- n. Specifically.
- n. A bitter and violent criticism; a strain of invective.
- n. An abusive, bitter denunciation.
- n. A prolonged discourse.
- n. A speech or writing which bitterly denounces something.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A prolonged or exhaustive discussion; especially, an acrimonious or invective harangue; a strain of abusive or railing language; a philippic.
- n. thunderous verbal attack
- First attested 1581, from Latin diatriba ("learned discussion or discourse"), from Ancient Greek διατριβή (diatribē, "way of spending time, lecture"), from διά (dia, "through") + τρίβω (tribō, "I waste, wear out") (Wiktionary)
- Latin diatriba, learned discourse, from Greek diatribē, pastime, lecture, from diatrībein, to consume, wear away : dia-, intensive pref.; see dia- + trībein, to rub; see terə-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This diatribe is about adding some balance to the world of programming.”
“It sets me apart while it declares that I'm a member of a group - and I guess that the end point of this diatribe is as follows: these days, (a).”
“This diatribe is about companies with lousy customer service.”
“Although Canzano's diatribe is not really worthy of a response, I've blacked out the child's face on this blog.”
“The ratio of insightful comment to shrill diatribe is about one in ten.”
“With that in the background, Myley Cyrus has launched an attack against peope who slag others online, and given her a huge popularity with teenage girls, her mini-diatribe is likely do some good.”
“No, what incites this diatribe is those four words of putative explanation: '' I made a mistake. '”
“For what it is, Todd's C-SPAN diatribe is scathing!”
“Your diatribe is filled with so many distortions that I will not even attempt to refute them.”
“I am sure this diatribe is going to play well in the coal mining states.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘diatribe’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Collected from reading
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
A few of my favorite words.
Looking for tweets for diatribe.