from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ecclesiastical The fourth of the seven canonical hours.
- n. Ecclesiastical The time of day set aside for this service, usually the sixth hour, or noon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fourth of the canonical hours; usually held at noon.
- n. A sexual text message.
- n. Any electronic message with sexual context.
- v. To send a sext message.
- v. To send (someone) a (sext message).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office for the sixth canonical hour, being a part of the Breviary.
- n. The sixth book of the decretals, added by Pope Boniface VIII.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Roman Catholic and Greek churches, in religious houses, and as a devotional office in the Anglican Church, the office of the sixth hour, originally and properly said at midday. See canonical hours, under canonical.
- n. In music:
- n. The interval of a sixth.
- n. In organ-building, a mixture-stop of two ranks separated by a sixth—that is, consisting of a twelfth and a seventeenth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the fourth of the seven canonical hours; about noon
The court said that threatening to press felony charges against a girl who appeared in a racy "sext" -- unless she took enrolled in a diversionary program -- was in violation of "the teen's constitutional right to be free from compelled speech and infringed on her parents 'right to direct her upbringing."
It shows a student, Megan, walk out of the toilets at school doing up her blouse and smirking at the "sext" - an explicit photo taken on her mobile phone - she had just sent to her boyfriend.
Tiger Woods is being called a sext-happy philanderer by the National Enquirer, is getting hounded by the Florida Highway Patrol, and is facing the possibility that his wife could go to jail for domestic abuse.
The "sext" scandal surrounding Brett Favre may or may not be valid, but that's not stopping the parodies and spoofs from hitting the Web.
It started with illustrating the Tiger Woods leaked "sext" messages in December which ended up being pretty popular.
State official allegedly attacked after 'sext' messages
Schoolgirl hung herself after 'sext' sent to hundreds
In the same survey, 43 percent of people ages 13 to 17 say they "sext" with their peers.
Mobile phone text messaging has given rise to two new entries: the "sext", a message of a sexual nature, and "drexting", defined as the practice of sending a text message while drunk.
A video to make teens think twice before they "sext" prompts the question - how would you feel if the picture was sent to your teacher?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.