Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a larva; characteristic of larvæ: as, larval character; larval habits.
- In pathology, masked; not clearly defined: said of a disease of which the symptoms are indeterminate.
- adj. Of or relating to a larva or larvae.
- adj. Being a larva.
- adj. Characteristic of larvae.
- adj. Having the form or shape of a larva.
- adj. disease Undeveloped, latent.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) Of or pertaining to a larva.
- adj. immature of its kind; especially being or characteristic of immature insects in the newly hatched wormlike feeding stage
- adj. relating to or typical of a larva
“There are little flatworms called larval trematodes that infect frogs.”
“Since this metamorphosis-preventing hormone keeps the insect in the larval form, it is called the larval hormone, or even the juvenile hormone.”
“Now, a major focus of research in equine parasitology is on the small strongyles and a disease caused by this group of helminths called larval cyathostomosis, previously referred to as larval cyanthostomiasis.”
“But because debridement is an important part of wound management, maggot therapy (also called larval therapy) is on the rise. clinical trials of maggot therapy, note Jo C. Dumville, PhD, of the University of York,”
“Bleeding from the areas of inflammation can lead to anaemia and there is a very serious complication from the emergence of large numbers of encysted strongyles called larval cyathostomosis, resulting in severe irritation of the gut and a serious reduction in normal gut action, which can lead to colic and death.”
“Thus, then, the captor of one of these baby sea-squirts though he knew nothing of the peculiar after-history of the creature, would yet be sure that he had here a very young or 'larval' stage of one of the backboned animals.”
“This was thought to be in response to different environmental factors such as larval habitats, infectious agents and predators.”
“The zooplankton eaten by salmon are tiny marine animals, such as larval-stage crustaceans, while the phytoplankton eaten by salmon are small, plant-like marine organisms.”
“Zooplankton are tiny marine animals, such as larval-stage crustaceans, while phytoplankton are single-cell marine organisms.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘larval’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words and phrases from A River Runs Through It, & Other Stories by Norman Maclean.
Looking for tweets for larval.