from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A funeral feast or wake, as was traditional in Scotland and the North of England.
- adj. Connected with or relating to funeral celebrations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A funeral feast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A funeral feast; a wake.
- Connected with or relating to funeral celebrations.
- Pertaining or relating to arable or plowed land.
Much New England rum was consumed at this gathering, and also before the procession to the grave, and after the interment the whole party returned to the house for an "arval," and drank again.
Afterward he and her father honored her by an arval to which they bade the whole neighborhood come, and which lasted three days.
"There be always a great arval feast after the funeral to which all friends are bidden."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.