from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who holds public office.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who holds an office, especially one appointed or elected to a public office; an incumbent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Officeholder in the Vocabulary.
- n. One who holds an office; an officer, particularly one in the civil service; a placeman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is in possession of an office under government; in general, any official.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the official who holds an office
- n. someone who is appointed or elected to an office and who holds a position of trust
Sorry, no etymologies found.