from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The combined flora and fauna of a region.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The living organisms of a region.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. all the plant and animal life of a particular region.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sum total of animal and plant life of a given region or period: the equivalent of fauna and flora combined.
- n. A treatise upon the animals and plants of any geographic area or geologic period.
- n. A group of conifers, now commonly referred to Thuja, the arbor-vitæ. The name, however, is frequent in nurserymen's catalogues.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. all the plant and animal life of a particular region
New Latin, from Greek biotē, way of life, from bios, life; see gwei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek, ultimately from βίος (bios). (Wiktionary)