American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal A student or former student of a preparatory school.
- n. Informal A person whose manner and dress are deemed typical of traditional preparatory schools.
- adj. Of or relating to a preppy or a preparatory school.
- adj. relating to things (such as clothing) that are typical of students at prep schools
- prep + -y, with a doubling of the p to ensure proper pronunciation. (Wiktionary)
- prep(aratory school) + -y1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“One of the six "gangs" of girls Mr. Roth plans to send down the runway this season is named the "Twill Seekers," whom he describes as preppy, Upper East Siders who wear items such as this striped rugby wrap dress.”
“The oddity of my elementary school situation was that those who ruled classroom society were what would be called preppy.”
“Until the 1980s, a California preppy was all but oxymoronic.”
“I mean, your band, obviously, has been referred to as a preppy band, a bunch of privileged kids, you know, trying to be punkers.”
“And so one day, as I trotted along Madison with my understated in style but not in price bag in the crook of my arm, an inevitable question popped into my head: which perfumes can be described as preppy?”
“GRACE: And tonight, the so-called preppy killer made headlines after strangling a teenager in Central Park, blaming her death on "rough sex.”
“The so-called preppy killer -- remember Robert Chambers -- well, he ` s headed back to jail.”
“PAULA ZAHN, CNN ANCHOR: After 15 years behind bars, Robert Chambers, the so-called preppy killer, is free.”
“JASON CARROLL, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): It was known as the preppy murder.”
“Too scruffy even to be called preppy, the young Grace Kelly liked to dress down, perhaps as an apology for those looks.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘preppy’.
With bows of great respect to Connie Willis, author of "Bellwether" and other wonderful books.
Clothing styles & subcultures...
These Vocabulary will learn adjectives that describe fashion choices and personal style in clothes.
Looking for tweets for preppy.