from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by meticulous order and neatness; tidy. See Synonyms at neat1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. meticulously neat and tidy
- adj. Organized, serviceable, trained and ready for action
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Arranged in a manner befitting a ship; hence, trim; tidy; orderly.
- adv. In a shipshape or seamanlike manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In thorough order; well-arranged; hence, neat; trim.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of places; characterized by order and neatness; free from disorder
Short for obsolete shipshapen, arranged as a ship should be : ship + shapen, past participle of shape.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
ship + shape; of nautical origin, based on the obligation of a sailor to keep his/her quarters arranged neatly and securely against the inevitable turbulence at sea. It also implies a neat and efficient packing to fit into the limited space typically allotted to service members aboard ship. (Wiktionary)