from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chief law officer of the state, empowered to act in all litigation in which the law-executing power is a party, and to advise this supreme executive whenever required.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The first ministerial law-officer of a state.
- n. In England, the title of the king's (or queen's) attorney in the duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall and the county palatine of Durham.
- n. Formerly, an attorney having general authority from his principal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the chief law officer of a country or state
- n. the position of the head of the Justice Department and the chief law enforcement officer of the United States
- n. the person who holds the position of secretary of the Justice Department
Sorry, no etymologies found.