American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The mayor or chief judicial official of a Spanish town.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Spain and Portugal, and in countries settled by Spaniards or governed by Spanish law, the mayor of a pueblo or town, who is the head of the municipal council, and is vested with judicial powers similar to those of a justice of the peace.
- n. The traditional Spanish municipal magistrate, who had both judicial and administrative functions.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A magistrate or judge in Spain and in Spanish America, etc.
- n. a mayor or chief magistrate of a Spanish town
- Spanish alcalde, from Arabic, meaning "judge". See qadi. (Wiktionary)
- Spanish, from Arabic al-qāḍī : al-, the + qāḍī, judge, active participle of qaḍā, to judge; see qṢ́y in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The alcalde was the politician, knowing the affairs of the world and speaking familiarly of the King and the Queen and the Marquis of Cadiz.”
“The alcalde was the politician, knowing the affairs of the world and speaking familiarly of the King and the Queen and the”
“The alcalde is a great observer," remarked Fray Sibyla in a meaning tone.”
“Poor Victoriano flew into a violent rage, and after calling the alcalde several very uncivil names, he pulled the soga from his bags, flung it at his head, and told him to take it home and use it for his own neck.”
“It was, however, not necessary to wait for noon; for about half-past ten o'clock a boat was seen approaching the _Nonsuch_ from the shore; and when she presently drew near enough to permit recognition of the faces of those in her it was seen that the alcalde was her solitary passenger; and very shortly afterwards she ranged up alongside the English ship, and Don Juan Alvarez climbed the side ladder in an evident state of profound trepidation.”
“When Hays approached the city, its alcalde came out with a white flag to beg the Rangers to spare the town.51 They did.”
“The town was honeycombed with rebel sympathizers and one of them was the alcalde, or mayor.”
“Cuando el alcalde apareció para decir quién firmó los cheques la gente no paró de abuchearlo.”
“I use them to convince the alcalde that Santo Domingo do not have to became the "Ciudad de Palmas".”
“David Dudley Field, in the East fought for his codes, and made money as lawyer for the robber barons; his younger brother Stephen went to California during the gold-rush days He became alcalde of Marysville, California; here he built a frame house and “dispensed justice for the community holding court behind a dry goods box, with tallow candles for lights.””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘alcalde’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
a must for every word anaconda
Palabras en espaÃ±ol de orÃgen arabe
Spanish words of Arab origin.
Looking for tweets for alcalde.